You’ll probably be aware by now that the Food Bill has received the Royal Assent, and is now the Food Act 2014.
The Act can be viewed at:
Some provisions of the new Act are in force already. These are powers that are conferred on the Director General of MPI, and that would typically be used in a food safety response situation. The key powers are:
- direction to complete and supply a declaration
- direction to impose movement or related controls
- direction to recall food or a food-related accessory
- direction to publish a statement
- power to publish privileged statements
- power to require production of information
The rest of the Act does not come into force until 1 March 2016 (or an earlier date set by Order in Council).
Between now and then regulations will be developed that support implementing the Act. There will be a public consultation on regulations, anticipated as being either later this year or in early 2015.
A fact sheet on the Food Act 2014 is here:
… and there’s further information, including frequently asked questions on the MPI website at: